The rent bank issues low income individuals and families a one-time crisis loan. We can provide a loan for up to $1,200 for a single person or up to $1,600 for a family.
Our loans can be used for rental arrears or utility arrears. We can also provide a damage deposit and first month’s rent in special circumstances.
For example, if you are fleeing an abusive situation or are currently homeless and have found housing we may be able to assist you, if you have a means to repay the loan.
You can apply for the Rent Bank loan program by completing and submitting the Rent Bank Pre-Assessment application to the Newton Resource Centre.
The form is available
• In Person at Newton Resource Centre (102-13771 72A Avenue, Surrey)
• Online Rent Bank Pre-Assessment Application Form.
Once completed, submit the application
• In person to Newton Resource Centre
• Fax to (604) 596-2319
• Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
There are specific eligibility criteria you must meet in order to be eligible for a loan:
• Income must be below the federal government’s low income threshold
• Currently reside within the cities of Surrey, White Rock or Delta
• Have experienced an unexpected one-time crisis which has caused you to be behind on your rent or utilities.
• Not able to access other government assistance
• Have the means to repay the loan (Certain amount of disposable income is required each month for repayment)
• Have no outstanding debt or undischarged bankruptcies
Will also need to provide 3 months of bank statements, picture ID and a Tenancy Agreement.
If you are not eligible for a loan, we also source out other income supports and resources. We will try our best to find another community resource that will be able to better assist you.
The loan repayment is on a monthly basis and withdrawn through pre-authorized payments through your bank account. The payback is calculated based on the loan terms and the amount borrowed. The maximum loan term is 24 months. There is no interest on the loans, only a small processing fee each month and an initial application fee. Both these fees are calculated in to your monthly pay back.
Can't find what you are looking for?