Here are some questions that are helpful to ask:

•   What services are included in my rent?
•   When will the landlord be available to complete my walk through?
•   When can I expect a copy of the signed tenancy agreement?
•   Who do I contact for repairs?
•   When can I request rent receipts?

Also of note, avoid paying your rent in cash if possible.

The first tip should be common sense, but is important nonetheless. Treat your space as if you owned it. You’re renting someone else’s property, so make sure you treat it with respect.

Next, be mindful that if you are renting a unit, that the rent is all inclusive. If you decide to move in another person, consider offering the landlord (LL) additional money to cover the extra usage in utilities. This would put you and the other tenant in a positive light with your landlord.

Also, put some real consideration into who you will have over as a visitor. Your landlord can evict you based on the actions of your visitors.

Pay your rent on time every month. Don’t make your landlord chase you down for rent. This will help build and maintain a positive relationship with your landlord.

Next, begin each and every tenancy with the idea that when you leave, your landlord will be more than happy to provide you with a positive reference for future tenancy opportunities.

Finally, be respectful of your neighbours and your landlord. Treat others how you would like to be treated.


A tenant occupies property, which is rented from a landlord is responsible for meeting the tenancy agreement.

Co-tenants are two or more tenants who rent the same property under the same tenancy agreement. Co-tenants are jointly responsible for meeting the terms of the tenancy agreement. Co-tenants also have equal rights under the tenancy agreement.

When having co-tenants, the landlord can choose to have separate lease’s or the tenants on the same lease.

Co-tenants are jointly and severely liable for any debts or damages relating to the tenancy. This means the landlord can recover the full amount of rent, utilities or any damages from all or any one of the tenants. The responsibility falls to the tenants to apportion among themselves the amount owing to the landlord.

Your landlord is within their right to issue you a 10-day notice for non-payment of rent even if you paid your portion of the rent. This will not affect you if you and your roommate have signed separate tenancy agreements with the landlord.

If possible, you are better off using another form of payment (eg. cheque or electronic money transfer) to pay your rent so you have proof of payment.

Legally, landlords are required to provide receipts for rent paid in cash. This proves that the rent was paid.  In reality some landlords do not provide receipts and may insist on you paying your rent in cash.

If you find yourself in this situation, a good idea is to withdraw the exact rent amount from your bank account as close as possible to the rent due date. (this will show a debit of the exact rent amount on your account).  It is also a good idea to have a friend or someone to witness the cash rent payment transaction.

The tenant should call the police to make a formal complaint of harassment. If the harassment continues the original complaint can be used as evidence to support a claim for "loss of enjoyment."

No, they do not.

The cost to file this application will vary, but the basic cost is $50. If you are low income, you can request this fee to be waived by completing a fee waiver form found on the Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) website. If you are seeking a monetary award of over $5000, the cost to file the tenancy dispute application is $100.

The first thing you should do, is read the notice top to bottom as it will provide the tenant, you, with important info on what to do next.

If you don’t understand something on the notice, seek immediate assistance. You can contact the residential tenancy office and request to speak with an information officer.

If you disagree with the eviction and want to fight it, you will need to file a tenancy dispute application with the Residential Tenancy Branch within the timeline outlined on the notice.

After the notice has been filed, the tenant will be issued a notice of hearing package, which will tell you the date, time and access code to attend your hearing. Tenancy dispute hearings are done via teleconference. If you do not have a working phone, you will need to make arrangements to access the hearing from another phone on your hearing date.

It is imperative that the tenant does not ignore an eviction notice.


A 10 day notice is issued to a tenant for non payment of rent, or utilities that are 30 days or more in arrears. Disputes for these will be filed within 5 days of date written on the bottom of the notice including weekends.

A 1 month notice is issued under cause and is related to tenant behaviour concerns. The tenant will have 10 days to dispute this notice.

A 2 month notice is issued if the landlord wants to have possession of the unit returned to them for personal use. This notice allows for 15 days to dispute. If the tenant accepts this, they will receive 1 month rent free in the unit.

It depends on the reason for the eviction. If it is because of an “at fault” eviction (unpaid rent, damaged property etc ) then no, the ministry won’t provide assistance with moving costs.

If the eviction is because the unit has been sold, being converted to “private use” or is condemned or being demolished – then you may qualify for help with the cost of moving if you are on income assistance, hardship assistance or PWD assistance.  This benefit is called the moving supplement.

There are other specific situations that you may also qualify for the moving supplement.  For more details, check out our Moving Supplement Fact Sheet in our Tenancy & Housing Resources section.

The Ministry may provide financial help called a "moving supplement"  in specific situations for people on income assistance, hardship assistance or disability assistance.

Reasons the Supplement may be provided

•   Person is moving to substantially less rent (approximately $100.00 less than current shelter amount)
•   Individual’s place has been sold, is being demolished or is condemned and notice to vacate has been given
•   Person is facing an imminent threat to the physical safety of anyone in the family unit
•   The Ministry may also assist a person to move anywhere in Canada if a person has confirmed employment or to another province if the move is to a permanent, supportive, positive environment that is not available in this province


In order to qualify for the Moving Supplement, both the following MUST apply:

•   There are no other resources available to the family to cover moving costs
•   Must have approval first from the ministry before incurring moving costs

For more details, see our Fact Sheet - Moving Supplement in our Tenancy and Housing Resources section.

The rent bank issues low income individuals and families a one-time crisis loan. We can provide a loan for up to $1,200 for a single person or up to $1,600 for a family.

Our loans can be used for rental arrears or utility arrears. We can also provide a damage deposit and first month’s rent in special circumstances.

For example, if you are fleeing an abusive situation or are currently homeless and have found housing we may be able to assist you, if you have a means to repay the loan.

There are specific eligibility criteria you must meet in order to be eligible for a loan:

  • Income must be below the federal government’s low income threshold
  • Currently reside within the cities of Surrey, White Rock or Delta
  • Have experienced an unexpected one time crisis which has caused you to be behind on your rent or utilities.
  • Not able to access other government assistance
  • Have the means to repay the loan. (We require a certain amount of disposable income each month for repayment)
  • Have no outstanding debt or undischarged bankruptcies

You also need to provide 3 months of bank statements, picture ID and a Tenancy Agreement.

If you are not eligible for a loan, we also source out other income supports and resources. We will try our best to find another community resource that will be able to better assist you.

The loan repayment is on a monthly basis and withdrawn through pre-authorized payments through your bank account. The payback is calculated based on the loan terms and the amount borrowed. The maximum loan term you may have is up to 24 months. There is no interest on the loans, only a small processing fee each month and an initial application fee. Both these fees are calculated in to your monthly pay back.

You can apply for the Rent Bank loan program by completing  and submitting the Rent Bank Pre-Assessment application to the Newton Resource Centre.

The form is available at

Once completed,  submit the application either in person to Newton Resource Centre, fax it to the centre at 604-596-2319 or email it to

Can't find what you are looking for?

Fields marked with an * are required